In honor of National Physical Fitness and Sports Month, Breakthru is urging you to be active everyday! Regular physical activity increases your chances of living a longer, healthier life! Building fitness into your schedule has immediate benefits, including better sleep, lower blood pressure, less anxiety, as well as long-term benefits such as reduced risk of heart disease and stroke, type 2 diabetes, dementia, and eight types of cancer! Additionally, weight-bearing exercise such as walking and lifting weights will help reduce the risk of developing osteoporosis.
The U.S. Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans were recently revised to include a multifaceted approach to physical activity for older adults:
- Aim for a minimum of 150 minutes of moderate intensity activity each week. There is no longer a 10-minute minimum per bout of exercise; any amount of physical activity is now preferable to no physical activity.
- Do muscle strengthening activities at least 2 days a week. This includes lifting weights, using exercises bands, or body weight exercises.
- Focus on balance training for better stabilization and avoidance of falls
- Brisk walking or jogging
- Sports such as biking, golf, basketball, tennis, and skiing
- Yard Work such as mowing the grass (push mower), raking leaves, or laying mulch
- Housework such as vacuuming and mopping
Muscle strengthening activities include but are not limited to:
- Lifting weights
- Using exercise bands
- Body weight exercises such as squats, pushups, and climbing stairs
- Hiking/biking on steep terrain
- Lifting/moving furniture or while performing yard work
As you can see, there are plenty of ways to build fitness and sports into your daily routine! One of the best ways to stay motivated is to do what you love. If you enjoy doing it, you’re more likely to stick to it. No matter what physical shape you are currently in, you can find something that will work for you.
In honor of National Physical Activity and Sports month, challenge yourself to get more physically active in the month of May!
See for yourself how good it can make you feel! If you need a little boost, Breakthru’s fitness coaches can help you get motivated and stay on track. Schedule your free consult today!