August is National Wellness month! Wellness encompasses more than just nutrition and exercise. It’s about total well-being, including mental health and stress management, sufficient sleep, ergonomics and postural awareness, keeping up to date on doctor and dental appointments, an self-care. It involves not only personal well-being, but also relationships and interactions with others, including family, friendships, and coworkers. If even just one of these areas is lacking, it can leave you feeling unbalanced and discontent with your life.
But there are many things you can do to achieve total wellness in your life! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Set mini-goals to help improve your diet, such as drinking more water or cutting back on sugar.
- Develop a nighttime routine that you can stick to to help you wind down and get restful sleep.
- Try to move as much as possible. If you can’t fit in a full workout, set a timer to get up and move around or stretch every 30 minutes.
- Take 15-30 minutes to schedule your annual doctor appointments and dental visits. This is especially important if you are in any sort of pain!
- Take time for yourself! Whether it’s coffee with a friend, reading a book, or catching up on your favorite show, doing something you love without any interruptions can help you feel balanced!
- Keep a journal of your goals, thoughts, or what you are grateful for.
- Practice spirituality, whatever that might mean for you.
Additionally, you can utilize your community to help you reach your wellness goals! Last January at Breakthru’s first annual fair, we hosted several local businesses that strive to help people achieve optimal wellness.
- The Center, Life in Balance in Medford, where holistic practitioners offer balance, healing, and spiritual exploration. https://www.thecenterlifeinbalance.com/
- FLOAT in Marlton, which offers relaxation through epsom salt float pools, saunas, and yoga/meditation. https://floatsnj.com/
- Breakthru Massage Therapy, offering various massage techniques to relax, de-stress, and reduce pain at our Medford Taunton Forge location on Saturdays and Sundays. Call 856-396-2250 to book an appointment.
Take time this month to work on you! Think about what wellness looks like for you, then make a plan to bring it to life! Just a few small steps is all it takes to get yourself feeling your best and improve your overall well-being!